Friday, July 31, 2009

flowers


so who doesn't like flowers? getting them, receiving them, picking them, looking at them, meditating on them. my darling friends gave me these last night after a performance - aren't they gorgeous?
i love that flowers are used by us humans as a form of emotional expression. they're part of weddings, funerals, parties, given as a healing gesture to the sick, a gift on a birthday, a congratulations for accomplishments, a sign of friendship or love. i have a favorite russian kids cartoon, where all the animals in the forest keep passing along a found bouquet of flowers to each other and when asked "za chem?"(what for?), the answer is always "prosta tak" (just because); my favorite reason for gifting.
always representative of life, beauty and the spectrum of color that illumines our world, flowers are some of the best teachers, if we take time to learn their lessons. i want so much to be a better student of nature.
my favorite flower is a gerbera daisy. i love its openness and bright color that seems to say, "look at me, look at me!" the epitome of an outgoing friend, without fear or hesitation. on the other hand, i love calla lilies, who are some of the most melancholy, mysterious flowers i've experienced. all curled up, they don't want to reveal their core too easily. you have to really look for what's inside if you wanna know. i can relate to both flowers at a life-level.
what's your favorite flower? ask it why. you'll love the answer you get, and i can pretty much bet that you'll never walk past one again without passing it a smile or knowing look.
stick some in your hair, make necklaces, tape one to your nose and breathe deeply. flower-power!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I had calla lillies at my wedding believe it or not and I just find them beautiful! I also love regular lillies, of course I'm not good with names of flowers.