Tuesday, May 17, 2011

intimacy

I admit it – I’m a junkie. I can’t get enough of closeness, affection, eye contact, care, touch, crying, laughing - all ingredients that make up intimacy. At least these things are included in my personal recipe. I’ve experienced so many levels of intimacy with so many people. Lovers, friends, colleagues, kids, even the guy crossing the street in front of my car. Yes, I think it’s possible to create it or find it anywhere if giant, universal love is one of your values.

I’ve had a few conversations lately about the subject of intimacy and it’s interesting how different people see it with different glasses. One friend said that for her, it’s finding connection and closeness non-verbally, while another felt that sharing stories of her life constituted intimacy. I know an awful lot of people who would make intimacy synonymous with sex…well, and yes, there’s that. My best attempt at summarizing, very generally, my idea of intimacy is this: any mutual experience that make two (or more) people feel closer to each other, loved and seen in truth.

Since this is a subject dear to my heart (after all, I AM a junkie), I’m thinking of writing an expanded piece on it. I’m very interested in knowing how any of you would define intimacy. In one word or many. Bring ‘em on!

By the way, my dear Facebook friends, these “notes” are coming to you live from my blog, which is much cuter than the dull, white wall page you’re looking at. If you’d like to see it in color form, I’d be delighted to have you here... http://playwithyourpassions.blogspot.com

2 comments:

Wendy said...

I've heard somewhere that intimacy is shared experience... but that doesn't seem completely accurate to me. I think intimacy requires understanding or shared perspective.

Unknown said...

Openness and trust. Not just from the other(s), but within yourself.