Tuesday, April 21, 2009

pregnancy

what is it about lady-with-a-baby-inside that makes everyone go "aw" and fills me with the softest tenderness? it must be the miracle of growing a little life that's going to peek into the world eventually. how absolutely intricate and amazing are our woman-bodies. though i've never experienced this inside-person myself, i've gone through many pregnancies with many friends and think it must be the most crazy, spiritual, raw, inside-out, inspiring, frightening, overwhelming, undoing imaginable. i've watched 3 women give birth and am eternally grateful for their allowing me that experience. i hope i will have many more. i once considered becoming a midwife, but decided that my phobia of needles and blood would hinder my effectiveness as a baby-catcher. :o) i'm now studying massage therapy and hope that i'll be able to serve and promote wellness in mothers-to-be and their newborns through this needle-less modality.
the process of holding space for a child until they birth into life is beyond words. i want to give a shout out to my dear friend, Hillary the midwife, for pouring her life into her life-giving work. i want to plug a fantastic documentary film called "The Business of Being Born" - you'll be blessed to watch it. and i want to give a shout out to all the moms of the world for your bravery, sacrifice and love. (reverential bow)

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Girl,
I think you'd make an amazing mid-wife! Go for your passions! see you in class. My blog is lizmovingyogi.blogspot.com
:-) oxox
Liz

Catherine said...

This blog made me smile! Being pregnant and giving birth to my daughter, which was "natural" because she got here in 2 hours from beginning to end, was the most amazing experience I expect to have before heaven.

swirled said...

Anissa! I'm so glad I got to read this. I've heard you mention what you want to do with massage, but it was beautiful to get a bit more insight into why you are so moved to do this work. I believe that there are many lucky future mothers and babies in this world whose lives you will touch. Love ya babe!
- Katie

Lori said...

I wanna do this again, too. And have another glorious home birth. Mmmmmmmm. Yummy.